This Mother's Day I thought that I'd make Mum a nice little baking treat. Family and friends sometimes get to sample my baking and this time I made these themed for Mother's Day. Neither Mum nor I are the pink, frilly types but sometimes it's nice to be a little bit girly. So this Mother's Day, Mum, you will be getting some pink heart-shaped Belgian biscuits - they're made with love, care, sugar and spice and all things nice.
Some tips for these biscuits are:
- Roll the dough fairly thin, as you will be sandwiching two biscuits together
- Be generous with the jam, as the biscuits are a bit dry
- Be generous with the icing, as the biscuits aren't very sweet
- If you don't have any red food colouring, mix in a bit of freeze dried raspberry powder. It adds a nice flavour to the icing too!
Makes approx 20 biscuits
125g butter, softened
1/3 c brown sugar
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 c raspberry jam
1 c icing sugar
couple drops of red food colouring or 2 tsp raspberry jelly crystals
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and beat well
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and all the spices and mix into a firm dough
- On a lightly floured bench, roll out the dough to about 2-3mm thick and cut into desired shapes using a cookie cutter
- Bake at 180ºc for 10-15 mins or until golden brown
- Allow to cool before assembling. Spread a generous amount of jam on half the biscuits and place a plain biscuit on top
- Mix the icing ingredients together, adding boiling water a few drops at a time until the icing is a thick, smooth consistency
- Ice the sandwiched biscuits and allow to set.
Graphic and digital designer.
Specialising in beautiful websites that are mobile-ready.